The Weekly Rant with Gary Patella

Thoughts and ideas on various grievances that are relevant to everyday life.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

On Drunken Dialing

Every now and again I get roused from my sleep in the middle of the night. The cause for my waking up is not a nightmare, a noise, or a need to relieve myself. It is a moron calling my cell phone.
Every time this happens it is always the same story. The person who called is out drunk somewhere and thinks that the liquor can be used to excuse the fact that it is 3:00 A.M. on a weeknight. This is something I have never understood. I have been drunk many times (at one point in my life I was a fall down drunk), and never have my logical facilities failed me to the point of waking someone up in the middle of the night to say "Hello."
Those of you that know me may say that my brain is different. You may say that although I can still reason after many drinks, other people cannot. I disagree. The proof of his or her reasoning is always revealed immediately. He or she will apologize for waking me up, and then let me know that he or she is drunk and use that as the reason for calling. To me this only proves the culpability of the individual. If someone apologizes for calling so late, then he or she knows that it is something not to be done.
My point is that no matter how much someone may drink, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. People that make these middle of the night calls know damn well what they are doing. It is time that we let them know that we aren't stupid, and stop letting them hide behind the beers they drank. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. Blaming the drinks you had is, of course, an easy way out. But for the future, don't try to pull that stunt with me. I need my sleep!

5 Comments:

At 11:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Gary! You wouldn't mind if I called late though, right? LOL just joking...-B, the pastry chef.

 
At 11:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY HAMMA!!!!

 
At 1:33 PM , Blogger .melody. said...

but don't most people that drunk dial are really just needing a friend to talk to? they're feeling depressed and desperate and they need you. well... maybe not. i guess most people that drunk dial just want to tell you how drunk they are. boring! i usually drunk dial because i am feeling lonely. i need an ear. usually i'm in bed on weeknights anyway 'cause i have a day job! is it okay to drunk dial on weekends?

 
At 4:58 PM , Blogger Chuck Deggsy said...

Whaaaaaa. Hellloooooooo garyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, garyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, waaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, I just gotta, burp, outta mcsoreleys, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, why aren't you out mannannnnnnnn, its like, heyyyyyyy, heyyyyyyyyy, we're goin to scratchers.............i gotta goo loveeee you and beeeeeer. beer more, bye.

 
At 2:59 AM , Blogger cousinsean said...

WE CALL YOU BECAUSE WE LOVE YOU!!!!! and we're drunk

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home