The Weekly Rant with Gary Patella

Thoughts and ideas on various grievances that are relevant to everyday life.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

On Elderly Drivers

Throughout most regions of the world, the automobile is a main form of transportation. Although driving is not very complex, it is still a skill that requires learning and practice. In most situations, experience is the best teacher-- this is usually true of driving as well. It is said that a person only truly learns how to drive after he or she has obtained a license.
Although I agree with this statement for the most part, I know of a situation in which experience does not imply better driving. I am speaking of the elderly. I have nothing against them, per se. There is a chance that I will be elderly one day myself. But there are facts that cannot be denied. As the body ages, senses such as sight and hearing (key senses that are needed for driving) deteriorate. People that no longer have vision and/or hearing conducive to driving should not drive.
I don't want anyone to think that I am blanketing the entire senior citizen community. I know perfectly well that many of them can still drive well. I just feel that at a certain age, it should be mandatory to retake the road test. Those that are still proficient would retain their license, but those that can no longer drive will have the license revoked.
Reckless driving is dangerous to a large number of people other than the driver. When I have discussed this with others, I have received some opposing responses. Questions such as "How can you tell someone that has been driving for 50 years that they can't drive anymore?" have been asked. I do not overlook the idea that someone who is told such a thing would be crushed. But should everyone else on the road be put at risk to spare this senile individuals feelings? I think not.
When a body has aged to the point where it can no longer drive, action must be taken. People that drink to the point of having blurry vision and impared reflexes are committing a crime by getting behind the wheel. Why then do we consider elderly people with the same blurry vision and impaired reflexes to be okay to drive? It makes no sense. Of course in the former case the impairment was self-induced by the individual. But if someone is hit and killed by an impaired individual, the cause of impairment becomes much less relevant.
In short, people unfit to drive should not drive. Many of these people do not realize that they are no longer able, and therefore take no initiative to stop on their own. As cruel as it may seem, something must be done. Feelings will be hurt, egos will be crushed, and some will feel like every shred of dignity has been taken from them...but the roads will be safer.

1 Comments:

At 6:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo! I agree

But what about the rest of us cretins with rapidly decaying vision???

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home