The Weekly Rant with Gary Patella

Thoughts and ideas on various grievances that are relevant to everyday life.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

On Subway Etiquette

There are too many people on the subway that have no regard for others. Of course it could be said that I too have very little regard for others (a statement that does contain an element of truth). However, there are certain actions I avoid as a courtesy.
The first faux pas that I will mention is that of eating. Of course it is not that disruptive when someone has a small bag of potato chips or a candy bar. But when a person opens up a hot meal and starts stuffing his or her face while simultaneously pervading the air in the car with the stench of the meal, I find it to be horribly rude. In England there used to be a poster that read "Don't eat smelly food" inside the tube stations. I agree with that poster, but unfortunately there was some issue with it. There was a protest claiming that it was derogatory to Italians. But that is off on a tangent.
Another issue is seating. I rarely sit down on a train with seats that are long and bench-like with no indication of any one individual seat. The reason is that people cannot understand that a space on that seat should be as big or bigger than the person trying to sit down. Someone inevitably squeezes in and creates a sardine-like discomfort for everyone. So I will not sit on those seats where I will eventually be extremely uncomfortable, since the whole point of sitting is to be more relaxed and comfortable.
I also have a problem with the people who try to be nice by holding the door for everyone. When I am trying to get to work this is extremely annoying. Furthermore, nothing can be said to these people. On the few occasions where I told them to let go or tried to reason, they became irate or just blankly stared. There is no point in reasoning with someone who is devoid of reason.
So remember these three rules:
1. It is a subway car, not a dining hall
2. If the seat doesn't fit, then you must not sit
3. Let the door close in the face of those who can't move quickly enough (especially if they are young)

There are other things that bother me, but these three are common. Perhaps my other grievances will appear in future blogs.

3 Comments:

At 9:01 PM , Blogger DGotler said...

For those whom have not a nose, but would they only inhale the smelly meal but once, would be marvelous!

 
At 6:04 PM , Blogger Chuck Deggsy said...

I think the front car of every train should be reserved for dinning. A fine Pinot Grigio or a good single malt scotch would be nice on the Q train.

 
At 10:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

my dear friend gary, starter of sidewalk fires:

you have forgotten one very big faux pas -

nail clipping.

enough said.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home