The Weekly Rant with Gary Patella

Thoughts and ideas on various grievances that are relevant to everyday life.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Leave Me Out Of It!

Throughout life one experiences a variety of conflicts. They are an inevitable consequence of social interaction. Many of these conflicts are resolved over time. A select few may last a lifetime. But regardless of the duration, conflicts between the involved individuals should remain that way (i.e. between the involved individuals). Unfortunately, many people don't see it that way.

Oftentimes those involved in a dispute try to force others to "choose a side." Whether the potential recruits are family or friends is irrelevant. The truth of the matter is that a choice should not have to be made. Most of the people were not even there when the quarrel took place, let alone involved. It is unfair to expect others to feel a similar aversion to the new nemesis.

Whenever a person wishes to tell me about a particular dispute, I am willing to listen. I can understand the need to vent. In fact, the information itself may prove useful. Inviting both involved parties to the same place a short time after the argument can lead to an awkward situation. Many would wish to avoid such an encounter.

But venting greatly differs from asking others to dissociate themselves from someone. Sometimes it is a blatant request such as "Don't talk to that person anymore." Other times it is a bit more subtle such as "I don't see how anyone would want to remain friends with a person like that." And there is even the extremely presumptuous "We aren't talking to that person anymore." From this I can only assume that my venting friend has some regal status of which I was previously unaware.

My main point is that an argument should not be perceived as a major conflict that calls for recruits to be amassed on both sides. You can tell the story and you can let off steam. But you should never try to rally others to the cause. In short, leave me out of it!

1 Comments:

At 1:04 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have had a bit of experience with this, as everyone has, but of course I feel the need to comment. While I agree that being asked to "pick sides" is a terrible burden to place on a friend, I also feel that if you have decided not to associate with a person, your friends need to respect that.

These are not mutually exclusive ideas.

If A no longer wishes to be around B, then the mutual friend who wishes to respect this must vary when A is invited to things with when B is invited to things. A simple addendum to any invitation, "oh btw A will be there" while respectful, diminishes a friendship over when repeated for every occasion.

It has always been my opinion that when friends quarrel, the first one to ask me to choose is the loser. Not that they get banished from the realms of the friendly, just it makes them less a friend somehow.

Interesting point to bring up, especially considering my last few years. glad to see you ranting again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home